Director, Financial Planning & Analysis – Strategic Finance
Location: Emeryville, CA
The Director of Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A), Strategic Finance is responsible for helping to lead, coordinate and support the Company’s strategic, long-term financial and program plans, analysis, and assessment efforts. The position will work closely with senior management, department leaders, program teams, global FP&A and business development to develop long term corporate forecasts, facilitate effective, data-driven decision-making and drive insight into the business and support the long-term strategic direction and business performance for this dynamic and growing biotech company.
The ideal candidate will have a strong sense of self-organization and motivation, be a strategic thinker, have experience with biopharmaceutical drug development and/or commercialization, be highly diligent, and possess strong interpersonal, organizational and business skills to complement their analytical acumen.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
The Director of FP&A, Strategic Finance plays a central role in the Company’s strategic and long-term planning, ongoing business assessments and analysis of internal programs and business development/acquisition opportunities. Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Oversee, develop and deliver the strategic long range operating financial plan (LRP), strategic financial models and valuations for the Company.
- Collaborate with program teams and lead, develop and maintain the long-term financial plans and valuation assessments for the Company’s principle product, product candidates, assets and technologies.
- Participate as an integral member of program team(s)
- Partner with Business Development and perform financial and valuation modeling and analysis of internal business initiatives, acquisitions, joint ventures, licensing transactions and divestitures.
- Lead valuation modeling and analytics for business development and/or strategic partnering transactions, fundraising initiatives, and business and investment decisions.
- Implement framework and financial analysis tools/benchmarks to support senior management decision-making and facilitate efficient operations i.e. cost and FTE models, benchmarks, optimal resource and R&D investment allocation, capital expenditure, other milestone go/no-go approvals.
- Contribute to the quarterly financial and portfolio review process, providing analysis and expert insight on forecasting and valuation impacts of various scenarios.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the FP&A team, functional leaders, and team members to support and develop the financial aspects of the Company’s operating plans: the annual budgets and rolling quarterly forecasts.
- Other duties as assigned
Core Competencies, Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Strategic business partner with ability to accurately frame and integrate strategic and tactical initiatives, anticipate future consequences and trends and collaborate effectively with senior leadership.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and exemplary financial modeling skills; ability to understand and perform advanced business and financial assessments.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Proven track record in decision support, business analysis, and strategic analysis.
- Effective in a fast paced and dynamic work environment.
- PC literacy required; MSOffice skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint); advanced Excel skills required; understanding of system-wide financial planning software
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Exceptional written, verbal and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively tailor communication to varying levels within the organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with and effectively influence others.
Education: Bachelor’s degree, MBA, CFA or similar preferred
- 10+ years combined financial planning and analysis, corporate finance and/or consulting experience with a proven track record of success building and leading teams and key initiatives, cultivating a high-performance organization; able to attract, develop, motivate and retain key talent.
- Robust experience with biotechnology and pharma industry, international commercial finance experience a plus.
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, and occasionally stand and walk
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment
- Occasional travel required