Director, Financial Planning & Analysis
Location: Emeryville, CA
The Director of Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) reports to the Vice President, FP&A and will play a key role in leading and driving a world class, global FP&A organization. This role is accountable for setting the global budget and forecasting processes and partnering with the business functions to develop the operating budget, forecasts, management reporting, business analytics, valuation and accounting support. The position will work closely with Research & Development, Commercial, and Administrative functions at Zogenix as well as with senior management, Business Development and Accounting to provide advanced financial analysis and insights for this dynamic and growing biotech company.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, highly organized, self-motivated, diligent, have acute attention to detail and hold a strong work ethic. They will also possess strong interpersonal, organizational and business skills to complement their analytical acumen.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
The Director of FP&A plays a central leadership role in the operational planning processes and ongoing business assessments. Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Lead a team with responsibility to develop the company’s global annual operating budget, quarterly forecasts, and management reporting and generation of key insights.
- Own the global process, calendar, consolidation and analysis of the annual operating plans including preparation of Functional Leadership, Sr. Executive and Board level materials for review and approval of the plan.
- Collaborate with business leaders to develop analysis of trends in revenue, expense, capital expenditures and related areas as they relate to the operating plan.
- Support the Strategic Finance team in the production of the strategic long range operating financial plan (LRP) and related program financial models for the Company.
- Support the Strategic Finance team in performance of advanced financial and valuation modeling and analysis to assess the financial impacts from internal and business development business initiatives and projects.
- Be a key contributor to the quarterly financial review and reporting process by performing and providing expert insight on forecast and budget variances to actuals.
- Assist with audit schedules for accounting department.
- Partner with business leaders and departments to develop special and ad-hoc financial and business-related studies and analyses.
- Develop and manage corporate financial planning and reporting systems.
- Drive continuous improvement and innovation in advanced planning, analysis and reporting capabilities to help scale for the future and drive a best-in-class FP&A team.
- Other duties as assigned.
Core Competencies, Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Strategic business partner with ability to work collaboratively with business leaders to accurately frame, assess and integrate strategic and tactical initiatives and plans into operating budgets and forecasts;
- Exemplary leader, adept at developing, coaching and motivating a team for effective performance, decision-making, conflict management, and skill development and growth;
- Strong analytical skills; ability to understand and perform advanced financial modeling;
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment;
- Proven track record in decision support, business analysis, and strategic analysis;
- Robust experience with biotechnology and pharma industry a plus;
- Flexibility to work in a fast paced and dynamic work environment; and
- PC literacy required; MSOffice skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint); advanced Excel skills required; understanding of system-wide financial planning software.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Exceptional written, verbal and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively tailor communication to varying levels within the organization;
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work well with and effectively influence others
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, MBA a plus
- 10+ years combined financial planning and analysis, corporate finance and/or consulting experience with at a proven track record of success and demonstrated high performance in financial analysis, assessment and planning;
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, and occasionally stand and walk
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment
- Occasional travel required