Location: Emeryville, CA
Department: Manufacturing Operations
Quality is the primary guiding principle at Zogenix. It is the foundation on which all functions and activities are performed. Excellence in the management of quality is fundamental and the foremost aspect upon which the Pharmaceutical Operations team are judged by our patients, caregivers, partners, colleagues, and regulatory bodies. Our commitment is to go beyond compliance and operate effective quality, development, operations, and supply systems that result in excellent products, processes, innovations, and documentation to ensure satisfaction from all stakeholders. We are committed to providing therapeutic solutions with potential to transform the lives of patients and their families living with serious rare diseases.
The Director, Procurement is responsible for developing a strategic approach to the corporate procurement process for the purchase of direct and indirect goods and services. In this leadership role, the successful candidate will direct the procurement of goods and services; assist Procurement team members and colleagues with procurement processes, change and update other procurement-related activities; develop and/or update procurement policies and procedures; and develop a centralized procurement program that will add value and efficiency to the organization. The position will serve as a strong collaborative business partner in a high growth, dynamic organization with responsibility for ensuring internal policy, procurement activities, systems, processes and procedures are in accordance Corporate Internal Controls and in compliance with Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and communicate a procurement business plan; establish, communicate, and implement long-term goals for the department to promote effectiveness and efficiency.
- Develop, communicate, and administer procurement team performance and development plans and appraisals.
- Serve as the primary contact for procurement related questions, training, policy and procedure interpretation and alignment by all departments.
- Oversee the integration of contract development, administration, purchase orders and accounts payable activities.
- Develop and implement procurement-related training programs for the procurement team and organization.
- Develop and manage procurement policies, procedures and programs with a focus on their ability to enhance organizational value and efficiency; meet regularly with respective departments regarding procurement for their understanding and/or recommendations to enhance policies, procedures and develop, communicate and implement new/revised policies, procedures and programs as needed.
- Develop a centralized procurement program that adds value and efficiency to the organization, including sourcing capability (requests for proposals, bid evaluation and supplier selection).
- Review and process purchase requisitions, assist with changes to existing purchase orders or added scopes of work, and act as escalation and remediation point for invoice issues and discrepancies.
- Represent the Pharmaceutical Operations Team in driving improvements to processes to people, process and technologies for an Enterprise Resource Planning systems and processes. This will include leading business and user requirements planning, system assessment, selection, implementation and integration with existing systems and processes.
- Lead reporting of key procurement metrics and implement process changes as needed. Measure and evaluate purchasing key performance indicators and communicate to associated stakeholders.
- Support the Company’s periodic financial statements/disclosures and audits.
- Ensure the achievement of annual financial objectives of the Procurement Team, including delivery performance, contract compliance, and operating expenses.
- Monitor and understand the global biopharmaceutical environment, technical and compliance trends, and new developments in manufacturing, packaging, global distribution, logistics and other supply chain activities that are relevant to Zogenix; Leverage this understanding to guide strategic planning with respect to Supply Chain functions.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Technical or business-related bachelor’s degree. MS/MBA highly desirable.
- 10+ years of experience in Procurement, preferably in one or more regulated life-sciences industries with biopharmaceuticals or medical devices, with at least 5 years of management/leadership experience.
- Professional Procurement Certification is strongly preferred.
- Lean/6 sigma certification is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated experience and solid knowledge of ERP and Procure to Pay systems
- Current knowledge of GxPs, ISO guidelines and pharmaceutical/device industry Supply Chain best practices and a solid understanding of operational aspects of pharmaceutical product manufacturing, distribution and sales.
- Experience building productive relationships and working with domestic and international third-party operations and contract resource providers both in Manufacturing Services and Contract Research Organizations.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Exhibit the Zogenix core values of Courage, Compassion, Collaboration and Excellence in all daily activities.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate and influence in a dynamic environment, playing both a strategic and very hands on role with ability to navigate change and ambiguity.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills to all employee levels, executive leadership and external partners, suppliers, and third parties.
- Self-reflective leader by example and drive the organization’s performance with an attitude of continuous improvement by being open to feedback and self-improvement.
- Maintain a bias for action and display a sense of urgency.
- Willing and able to make sound business decisions and act on them with urgency and for the benefit of the Company.
- Able to quickly and accurately evaluate internal and external operations, recommend optimal decision paths based on those evaluations and lead the organization to successful delivery of business objectives.
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Regularly required to operate standard office equipment (personal computer, photocopy machine, etc.)
- Ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time.
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, and occasionally stand and walk.
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment.
- Close vision required for computer usage.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, climb, and lift up to 20 pounds.
- Willing and able to travel domestically and internationally.