Manager, Accounting – Clinical & Operations
Location: Emeryville, CA
The Manager, Accounting – Clinical & Operations will be responsible for managing the financial accounting close of all clinical trial related accounting including the day to day accounting, the preparation of general ledger entries, account reconciliations, financial statement analysis, and coordinating and managing clinical operations review meetings. In addition to the areas related to clinical, the role will provide support in the areas of the accounting system maintenance, accounts payable reviews, and financial management reporting. The position is the key liaison between the Finance and the Clinical Operations team and will be the finance lead in preparing the Clinical accounting close process, Clinical account analyses and ad hoc projects.
- Key contact with Clinical team in tracking Clinical programs and related contract and payment activities
- Maintain/create accrual models for clinical trials incorporating updates/changes in contracts and site activity data. Ensure high quality of accruals with attention to detail and accuracy of calculations
- Responsible for leading the monthly, quarterly and annual financial close including analysis of financial data and contracts related to Clinical Operations:
- Work closely with the Clinical team in creating and providing suggestions to the clinical contract tracker, monitoring and tracking clinical contracts and change orders
- Monitor cash disbursements to ensure they are timely and compliant with the Company's policies and procedures
- Coordinate with CRO vendors to obtain timely cost accrual information
- Review and analyze invoices, contracts, and reconcile data to POs, budgets, and/or work orders to ensure the appropriate accounting treatments
- Review monthly Clinical related journal entries prepared by Sr. Accountants
- Review all Clinical account reconciliations
- Assume responsibility of reviewing significant clinical contracts to provide
- Analyze clinical activities for management reports as needed
- Lead the mid-quarter meeting with CRO vendors and quarterly clinical review meetings with internal Clinical Ops team
- Primary contact for financial statement audit requests, and respond to inquiries from internal and external auditors related to Clinical Finance
- Provide regular performance feedback, development and coaching to 2 Sr. Clinical Accountants.
- Manage the review of all Modis general accounting including clinical accounting.
- Prepare supporting documentation for SOX and SEC filings as needed.
- Be a backup system admin to finance budgeting tool, Planful
- Assist in developing and improving operational procedures and establishing process efficiencies/ improvements
- Back up Accounts Payable batch review for all R&D departments
- Support other finance / ad hoc projects as necessary
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Life science company experience
- Excellent people and project management skills
- Great Plains experience preferred
- Advanced Excel skills required
- Bachelor Degree in Accounting/related field, or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of previous accounting experience, preferably in biotech or pharmaceutical industry is required.
- Possess great verbal and written skills
- Must be able to demonstrate a high attention to detail with an ability to analyze data to minimize company’s risk.
- Demonstrated the ability to independently prioritize and identify organizational opportunities and to effectively implement new processes and internal controls preferred