Manager, Accounts Payable
Location: Emeryville, CA
The Accounts Payable Manager serves as the primary relationship manager with all Zogenix stakeholders interacting with the accounts payable department by ensuring first-class service to our internal and external partners. The Accounts Payable Manager manages the day-to-day activities in accounts payable (AP) and drives all the accounts payable functions for accuracy and completeness to ensure financial statements remain GAAP and SOX compliant. This position will manage the AP staff, conduct employee performance evaluations, and foster a team environment
- Responsible for the full cycle AP function by establishing best practices in the procure-to-pay workflow and ensuring timely payments of invoices, accuracy of 1099 and 1096, and maintenance of AP records.
- Trains and proactively manages AP staff with respect to all activities performed by the AP function, including not only transaction execution but also how the team members interact and communicate with internal and external customers. Any escalations should flow through the AP Manager
- Provide best-in-class customer service by
- overseeing vendor accounts,
- communicating effectively and professionally with vendors,
- training vendors and employees on the steps required to pay invoices,
- responding to payment inquiries,
- resolving any vendor invoice discrepancies in a timely manner,
- responsible for annual 1099/1096 and responses to related inquiries, and
- managing vendor master file and vendor account details.
- Review and approve wire templates for both accuracy and authenticity.
- Review cash requirement calculations for weekly cash disbursements.
- Review and approve AP batches for accuracy and SOX/GAAP compliance.
- Review monthly AP aging, verify explanations exist for >60 days items or any unapplied credits, request vendor monthly statements for completeness testing, and work with the AP team to research/resolve all outstanding items > 60 days or unapplied credits.
- Review open Purchase Orders and liaise with procurement team to resolve matters.
- Prepare support for SOX/audit requests and respond to inquiries from external auditors.
- Develop, implement and maintain procedures and policies related to the AP function to ensure adherence to company guidelines.
- Identify and address frequent AP processing errors by providing recommendations on process efficiency improvements, documenting improvements, and developing operational procedures to strengthen internal controls
- Manage monthly AP closing of financial records and ensure accuracy of financial statements.
- Assist with the ERP implementation of the Procure-to-Pay (PTP) module.
- Support other finance / ad hoc projects as necessary
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred and 6+ years of relevant experience in public biotech or technology with at least 3 years managing the full-cycle AP process and AP team members required
- Great Plains or NetSuite/Coupa/Concur experience preferred
- Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close process
- Exceptional analytical, problem solving and communication (both written and verbal) skills are required
- Thorough knowledge of intermediate accounting procedures
- Intermediate MS Excel skills including Vlookups and pivot tables
- In-depth understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Accuracy and attention to detail with aptitude for numbers and quantitative skills
- Proven self-starter who sets concrete and achievable goals and meets them
- Demonstrated proficiency for identifying organizational opportunities and effectively implementing new processes and internal controls