Manager, Financial Planning & Analysis
Location: Emeryville, CA
The Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis (FP&A) is responsible for helping support a world class, global FP&A organization, including coordinating and developing the Company’s annual operating budget and related strategic operating and biopharmaceutical program plans as well as providing advanced financial analysis and support for financial reporting and business development and strategic internal business initiatives. The position will work closely with research & development, commercial, and administrative functions at the Company as well as with senior management to provide financial analysis, planning and support for this dynamic and growing biotech company.
The ideal candidate will be proactive, self-motivated, diligent, hold a strong work ethic and possess strong interpersonal, organizational, and business skills to complement their analytical acumen.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
The Manager of FP&A plays a central role in the Company’s operational planning and ongoing business assessments and analysis of internal programs and business development opportunities. Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Key contributor of high-performing FP&A organization that oversees and develops the Company’s annual operating budget, forecasts, and supports long-term strategic, program plans.
- For designated areas, collaborate with business leaders to lead and develop the financial plans and in-depth business analytics.
- Identify, track and analyze key metrics and KPIs that impact the business.
- For designated areas, collaborate with business leaders and oversee production of annual and quarterly operating forecasts and budgets and corresponding analysis of trends in revenue, expense, capital expenditures and related areas.
- Support the preparation and contribute to the production of the strategic long range operating financial plan (LRP) and related program financial models for the Company.
- Be a key contributor to the quarterly financial review and reporting process by performing and providing expert insight on forecast and budget variances to actuals.
- Drive continuous business processes and systems improvements.
- Assist with audit schedules and provide other support for the accounting department.
- Perform advanced financial modeling and analysis and assessments.
- Partner with business leaders and departments to develop special and ad-hoc financial and business-related analyses.
- Develop and manage corporate financial planning and reporting systems, including improvements and maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Core Competencies, Knowledge and Skill Requirements
- Strategic business partner with ability to work collaboratively with business leaders to accurately frame, assess and integrate strategic and tactical initiatives and plans into operating budgets and forecasts
- Strong analytical skills – ability to understand and perform advanced financial modeling.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Proven track record in decision support, business analysis, and strategic analysis.
- Flexibility to work in a fast paced and dynamic work environment; and
- PC literacy required; MSOffice skills (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint); advanced Excel skills required; understanding of system-wide financial planning software.
Communication & Interpersonal Skills
- Exceptional written, verbal and presentation skills, with the ability to effectively tailor communication to varying levels within the organization.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work well with and effectively influence others
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, MBA a plus
- 5+ years combined financial planning and analysis, corporate finance and/or consulting experience with a track record of proven success and demonstrated high performance in financial analysis, assessment and planning.
- Robust experience with biotechnology and pharma industry a plus.
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Ability to work on a computer for extended periods of time
- Regularly required to sit for long periods of time, and occasionally stand and walk
- Regularly required to use hands to operate computer and other office equipment
- Occasional travel required