Regional Director, Medical Science Liaisons – East
Location: New York, NY
Department: Medical Affairs
The Regional Director, Medical Science Liaisons – East is responsible for leading regional MSL functions at Zogenix. This is a leadership position focused on developing and executing the regional External Scientific Leader (ESL) strategy, establishing a high-functioning MSL culture in the region, and ensuring Zogenix is seen as professional, credible, and fair-balanced by ESLs.
The Regional Director MSLs provides overall management leadership for their regional MSL team. The role directs individual MSLs/Sr. MSLs relating to their External Scientific Leader (ESL) engagement activities and manages their professional development. The Regional Director will also collaborate with other Regional Director(s) on MSL training, communications, and other activities. This position is a critical contributor to the overall MSL engagement strategy. At the direction of the Senior Director MSLs and other Senior Leadership, the role may also have additional responsibilities including maintaining MSL responsibility for a field geography within the region and leadership of key projects related to the defined disease state and/or specified Zogenix Product.
The Regional Director, MSLs – East represents Medical Affairs in collaborations with internal partners such as Clinical Development and Commercial. The position represents the HCP perspective in internal collaborations and also provides insight relating to disease state and/or specific Zogenix products. The Regional Director, MSLs – East also leads compliant partnerships between the MSL team and internal partners.
The Zogenix values of compassion, courage, collaboration, and excellence should guide the Regional Director, MSLs – East work.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Develop and provide managerial oversight of the Regional MSL team including metrics development and individual MSL personal development plans
- Survey and respond to unique field needs or barriers related to optimal MSL engagement and implement plans for adaptation as needed
- Maintain a highly functioning regional MSL team culture
- Assist Senior Director in development and maintenance of disease state and Zogenix product training for the MSL team
- Maintain and develop trusted, collaborative and peer relationships with Top US ESLs and Clinical Investigators, and advocacy groups in their region
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Clinical Development partners to ensure optimal ESL engagement and MSL partnerships for Zogenix product study objectives
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Commercial, including market access, to ensure compliant MSL partnerships
- Collaborate with US and Global Medical Affairs Senior Leadership to ensure strategic alignment and focus for the Field Medical Team
- Develop and manage the defined field geography responsibilities and individual ESL engagement plans if required
- Other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Terminal Science Degree (MD, PhD, PharmD, NP) required
- Minimum of 7 years Medical Affairs Experience (including Sr. MSL, Director Level Position)
- Medical Affairs management experience preferred (MSL Lead, Regional MSL Lead, etc.)
- Proven ability to establish trusted and collaborative relationships with leading US experts in both clinical and academic settings
- Significant Medical or Scientific background and/or pharma/biotech experience in defined disease state represented by the Zogenix product
- Ability to think strategically to define and prioritize medical affairs and MSL plans
- Ability to manage and coach individual MSLs to ensure high-performance against current goals while also focusing on long-term development
- Ability to oversee specific engagement activities including advisory boards, publications, investigator-initiated studies, etc.
- Strong delegation skills and ability to lead through others
- Ability to be a team player with regards to compliant internal partnerships with marketing, sales, and market access
- Significant knowledge related to compliance and ethical standards in Pharma
- Significant knowledge related to product safety and compliant adverse event/product complaint reporting
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Experience as a personnel manager in the pharma/biotech industry/clinical setting
- Strong project management skills with the ability to multi-task in very dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Strong attention to detail
- Superior oral presentation skills
- Superior written communication skills
- Excellent short- and long-term planning abilities
- In-depth knowledge of relevant therapeutic area required
- Ability to understand and clearly explain pharmaceutical clinical trials
- Ability to collaborate to develop MSL strategy and tactics and lead their execution
- Ability to work cross-functionally compliantly
- Strong sense of collaboration
- Ability to guide, develop, and correct MSL and Sr. MSL work in order to achieve overall MSL team objectives
- Possession of business acumen to lead development and execution of personal and regional objectives and contribute to development of broader Medical Affairs and company objectives
- Detailed understanding of regulatory and professional guidelines associated with the dissemination of medical information (OIG, FDA, AMA, ACCME, and PhRMA guidelines)
- Belief in leadership by example—including the core values of compassion, courage, collaboration, and excellence
- Must be of high integrity and must demand the highest of integrity of the MSL team
SPECIAL WORKING CONDITIONS
- Willingness and ability to travel within the US up to 60% of time, with occasional International travel.
Motor Vehicle Record Requirements
- Valid license in state of residence.
- No less than 1 year of driving experience.
- No more than 1 major violation in the past 5 years.
- No more than 3 moving violations or chargeable accidents in the past 3 years